The Secret life of Walter Mitty

Director: Ben Stiller

Writers: Steve Conrad, based on a short story by James Thurber "The Life and Hard Times"

Starring: Ben Stiller (Walter Mitty), Kristen Wiig (Cheryl Melhoff), Jon Daly (Tim Naughton), Kathryn Hahn (Odessa Mitty), Terence Bernie Hines (Gary Mannheim), Adam Scott (Ted Hendricks), Paul Fitzgerald (Don Proctor), Shirley Maclaine (Edna Mitty), Gary Wilmes (Walter's Dad), Marcus Antturi (Rich Melhoff), and Sean Penn as Sean O'Connell.




We all wish we were something amazing, exciting and beautiful, but many of us feel that we are plain and insignificant. So, we dream – and we wish, but what if we could see ourselves the way that others really see us?
Society and social media has trained us to think that if we aren’t getting the credit or in the limelight, we are simply nothing special. Why? This is what “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” explores. In the process, we get to enjoy a journey with a guy who feels that he’s nothing – on a search for someone who he has never met, but who knows our friend Walter very well.
I loved this movie – and Henry tells me I’m a sap – but unlike a lot of movies out there, this one actually makes you feel something. Being on the 40 side of 30, I understand that feeling of not mattering much. This movie explores the stage of life where I think many of us realize that we’ve been doing exactly what we were taught to do, but not anything near what we want to do. So, you take a look at your life and you start feeling really small and insignificant.
We all want to do more, be more, have more adventures and live a bigger life. We all want to matter to as many people as we possibly can, but what if you had someone to show you that what you’ve been doing all along really matters? What if you could see how beautiful, powerful and significant you have really been all these years?
Would it make you feel – different? This is what Walter Mitty finally gets to see. That no matter what he does to change and be “cooler,” he’s always been the beautiful driving force behind the workings of many others.
So – not gonna’ lie – I smiled like a dork through most of this movie. I felt his shame at being not a whole lot of special. I cheered for him when he finally started living his life – and there was one scene that (okay – two) that brought tears to my eyes and made my heart swell. I loved this movie and usually if it’s not a horror flick – I don’t want to see it – but I am so – SO glad Henry made me watch this movie.
It’s not a heavy introspective story, either. It’s fun. It’s light hearted and you’re just along for the ride, until you see the point. And it’s a beautiful point.
So, if you want to see a movie that’s fun, clean enough for your kids to watch and makes you feel a little better about life, I think this is a great pick.
Thanks for reading everyone. I loved writing this – and thank you Henry for letting me write it.  I baked you cookies! Until next time all, be healthy and well – and take some time to watch a movie or two – it will do your heart good!      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright

If I Stay

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)